Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Behind the Name: Thieves' Cantata

Howdy!

So, the title for this blog is "Thieves' Cantata" which, on the surface, sort of sounds like I made up a fun combination of words and decided that would be the name of my blog. But, there's a little more behind it that might need some explanation...

'Thieves' cant' is a secret language (cant or argot) that was used by thieves and other miscreants in Britain around the 16th and 17th centuries. This secret language was employed to keep illegal or otherwise secretive dealings out of the ears of law enforcement or other unwanted eavesdroppers. I've found a pretty great beginners' guide here to learning thieves' cant for role-players!

So I decided on a play on words incorporating "cantata". Get it? I'm a musician, right? Humor me.

P.S.
I'll likely be trying to post every other day or so, but if I don't get to it, I might rescind that promise.

Dante <3

No comments:

Post a Comment